Thursday, 17 June 2010

Robben Island

Hey smOrl,

How are you doing? I had the morning off today and managed to get a ferry out to Robben Island...


As you well know little smOrl, Robben Island is where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years under Apartheid rule before his release in 1990,



This is a room that housed 80 prisoners, until the late 80's they slept on the floor on the mat you can see here, then they got the bunk beds at the end of the room.


This is the pitch where the inmates started the Makana Football Association, a league set up in defiance of the authorities at the height of Apartheid,


And here's me looking a bit woolly with Table Mountain in the background...


This is the wing where Nelson Mandela was held....


And this is his cell...


I hope you and Mum are having a good time while I'm away, put that garden to good use.

Love,

Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment